Saturday, April 16, 2011

Day 34 of Lent :: Fish and Bread

Jesus said to them,
“Come and have breakfast.”
(John 21:12)
Just before the arrest that would lead to His death, Jesus gathered His disciples together for a meal of preparation.  Shortly afterwards, they all fled in fear and dismay.  After Jesus rose from the dead, He gathered His friends together for another meal, this time for restoration.  At this meal, they brought the fish, and He brought the bread.  They brought their shame-filled brokenness.  He brought the resurrection power of forgiveness and acceptance. 

In ancient times, bread was not merely the substance of a meal, it was what they shared to make a covenant.  Jesus specifically addressed Peter in a heart-penetrating conversation. Kenneth Wuest’s translation offers one of the richest renderings of this passage found in the Gospel of John 21:15-19:
“Then when they had breakfasted, Jesus says to Simon Peter, ‘Simon, son of Jonas, do you have a love for me called out of your heart by my preciousness to you, a devotional love that impels you to sacrifice yourself for me?  Do you consider me more precious and thus love me more than these [fish]?’  He (Peter) says to Him, ‘Yes, Lord, as for You, You know positively that I have an emotional fondness for You.’  He (Jesus) says to him, ‘Be feeding my little lambs.’ Jesus says to him again a second time, ‘Simon, son of Jonas, do you have a devotional love for me called out of your heart by my preciousness to you, a love that impels you to sacrifice yourself for me?’  He (Peter) says to Him, ‘Yes, Lord. As for You, You know positively that I have a friendly feeling for You.’  He (Jesus) says to him, ‘Be shepherding My sheep.’  Jesus says to him the third time, ‘Simon, son of Jonas, do you have a friendly feeling and affection for me?’  Peter was grieved that He said to him the third time, ‘Do you have a friendly feeling and affection for me?’  And Peter said to Him, ‘Lord, as for You, all things You know positively.  You know from experience that I have a friendly feeling and affection for You.’  Jesus says to him, ‘Be feeding My sheep. Most assuredly, I am saying to you, When you were younger, you were accustomed to clothe yourself and to walk where you were desiring to walk. But when you grow old, you shall stretch out your hands, and another shall bind you around and carry you where you do not desire.’  And this He said, indicating by what kind of death he will glorify God. And having said this, Jesus says to him, ‘Be following with me.’”[i]

Reflection: What do you notice about Jesus’ interactions with Peter? Jesus asks Peter some very poignant and piercing questions.  Pay attention to the honesty of Peter’s answers.  This is quite a contrast to the boastful claims made just a few days earlier.  Peter now stands before Jesus, a humbled man.  As you go through your day, reflect on the following statement:

Victory begins with the name of Jesus on your lips;
but it will not be consummated
until the nature of Jesus is in your heart.

Francis Frangipane


[i] Kenneth Wuest, The New Testament  : An Expanded Translation (John 21:15).

No comments: