Thursday, May 24, 2007

GPS... on the wrist

I am one of the strangest persons I know when it comes to Christmas and Birthdays... There are certain people in my family that always give money as their means of celebration... The old adage, "You know what you want better than I do... I didn't know what to get you... Get what you want..." We're all familiar with the drill...

We'll... what most people don't know is that I will hold on to this money for weeks.... and most times months before I will finally plunge in and spend it. One reason my be that these are the only times during the course of a year that I actually get to hold on to some 'green back' cash... Typically, I simply 'hand-over' the check stub to the wife'e who then sends all the accounted for money to its necessary landing - ie. the bills and such.

But Christmas and Birthdays are a different story baby - I get the "green" and I hold on to it... Why? Probably because other than my few technological gadgets that accessorize my laptop (and my obsessive love for books) - I'm a pretty simple person and rarely spend money to buy something new... So when Christmas and Birthdays come around I have a hard time just running out and spending it on the first thing that I see - after all, it will be another year (or at least 6 months) until the next Holiday/B.Day where I will once again be endowed with some cash.

We'll I finally spent the last of my Birthday money... A Bitter Sweet experience it always is... (Strange - I know - don't say I didn't warn you). My Birthday is at the end of March -- it's now the end of May - 2 months... Not bad actually, generally I'll stretch it out even longer than this...

So what was the last item...?

Timex Speed and Distance Ironman Triathlon GPS Watchtimexwatch_textmedium

That's right a watch... But not just any watch...! This baby sports GPS. It connects to up to 12 satellites - detects where on the planet I am - converts the signals to GPS data - and then signals back to my wrist indicating exactly how far I've been running, walking or biking since I started. Moreover, it calculates how fast I've been runner - miles per hour - pace - average - etc...

At least, that's what Timex boasts that it can do... Like I said, I just made the plunge... Currently it's being handed off from one U.S. Post Office to another until it finally makes it here to the great Michiana - South Bend, IN.

...I'll let you know how it works.......

No comments: