Monday, October 12, 2009

Reflection: Picking up the Crumbs

Recently, while on a morning run, I got to thinking about the pace of life that many of us become entrenched in, often without even being aware of it. We run from one appointment to another, bounce from one deadline to the next, drive from one drop-off point to the next pick-up spot (at least for those of us with children). None of this is alarming in and of it self. What struck me though is how during these times of extreme movements my life and soul so easily become shallow. In the spin-cycle of life it's so easy to become numb to the subtle promptings of God.

I've discovered (more than once - but still learning the lesson), that I need times during my weekly rhythm where I can step back and reflect on my life, how I'm doing, what's happening, as well as, where God's been present and so forth.

My early morning runs are one of these times where I simply start off with no mental agenda other than reflecting, processing and reorienting my soul with clarity and perspective.

"Those who have abandoned themselves to God always lead mysterious lives and receive from him exceptional and miraculous gifts by means of the most ordinary, natural and chance experiences in which there appears to be nothing unusual. The simplest sermon, the most banal conversations, the least erudite books become a source of knowledge and wisdom to these souls by virtue of God's purpose. This is why they carefully pick up the crumbs which clever minds tread under foot, for them everything is precious and a source of enrichment."
JEAN-PIERRE DE CAUSSADE
The Sacrament of the Present Moment

No comments: