Thursday, December 04, 2014

The One Greater than I

7And this was his message: “After me comes the one more powerful than I,
the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie.
8I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.” (Mark 1:7-8)

Here’s John’s message, there comes one more powerful than I. As ministry grows and influence increases, there’s a part of the human consciousness that likes, perhaps even craves the attention and popularity of others. However, we must never forget, we have been merely sent to prepare the way. All the road signs and on-ramps do not lead to us, but to Christ. Our ambition is not to be our notoriety, popularity or numbers, but in pointing others toward the One who is Famous. I love how the Gospel of John records John the Baptist’s comments. He sees himself as the “best friend” and “best man” of the “bridegroom.”

27John replied, “A person can receive only what is given them from heaven. 28You yourselves can testify that I said, ‘I am not the Messiah but am sent ahead of him.’ 29The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom’s voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete. 30He must become greater; I must become less.” (John 3:27-30)

May I be like this! What best-man tries to steal the attention of the groom? Yet, how often do I/we, even unconsciously secretly wish to gain the attention of the masses, however small that “mass” may actually be?


God, show me any ways, however subtle that they may be, where I try or desire to draw attention to myself, rather than You – the bridegroom.

No comments: