Friday, November 05, 2010

The Hand Brings Understanding...

"The LORD made me understand in writing,
by His hand upon me, all the details of these plans.”
 
~1 Chronicles 28:19
 
Over the years, time and time again, I have found this to be true. That as I write, my thoughts and feelings have a way of becoming disentangled. Clarity emerges. Perspective settles in. And, perhaps most importantly, there's a sense of divine connectedness and nearness, not to mention, as my mind slows down to the speed of the pen, I am often able to become aware and perceive that which God is saying to me. It's a time to write first, filter later. Journaling has been very directive, corrective and clarifying for me.

I have a leather journal that goes with me most places. At the same time, I've found there are times/things that I am able to better process through typing. Typing is a bit faster, not to mention the chance of me actually being able to read it later are significantly higher :-)

I also use a program called journler, that is helpful in capturing and organizing thoughts.  Another online journal-type feature that I've found useful for prayer of examines and scripture reflections is Examen.me.

No comments: