Friday, September 03, 2010

Headed towards the Farm...

"An African Christian described it to me this way: “You Americans think of Christianity as a farm with a fence. Your question is, ‘Are you inside the fence or outside of it?’ We Africans think differently. We think of Christianity as a farm with no fence. Our question is, ‘Are you heading towards the farm, or away from it?’ “The church’s identity is not defined primarily by its edges, but by its center: focused on Christ, the sole source of our identity, no intruder poses a threat." ~Almost Christian, 65.

3 comments:

the Chans said...

I love this! Thanks for sharing. This is what we 'used to' teach. Repentance. No wonder people (Americans) struggle with the Christian life. The "fence" seems to move a whole bunch. Let's keep our eyes on and move towards the farm. . . then really the fence won't matter.

Jerrell Jobe said...

Totally agree... The "Farm" perspective seems so much more in line with what Jesus modeled...

It's relational... progressive... and often demonstrate more of the process of one's journey in faith and discovery.

Anonymous said...

Hi, my name is Cassie, and I have just stumbled across your blog, by the power of God I believe, I have enjoyed reading your posts and have linked your post about the "Almost Christian" book. Thanks for the insights, and I would like to visit again.